From Baja to Mainland: Crossing the Sea of Cortez

CaptureAfter the deserted coast of Baja, La Paz was a great place to stick around for a week, although unintentionally.  The 40 degree temperatures meant not much more than swimming or sitting in water could take place during day hours, not that otherwise was not attempted but once again mother nature won.  But as the night approached the Malecon beamed with activity.

The Malecon, deserted by day but packed by night, no really it is, not sure where the people took off for the picture
Malecon sunset watching
Evening ambience

Aside from beach and city wandering, time was taken up with scheming the upcoming route on mainland Mexico.  While the original plan was to follow the west coast highway, warnings from numerous people convinced us to go inland towards Guadalajara and Mexico City before heading south.

Working hard

Wednesday morning ready for change we packed up and headed to the ferry, only to find out that this would not be happening.   The truckers ferry (which we chose over the passenger due to dogs being allowed on deck) did not allow women on this particular occasion.  Thinking this was some funny or not so funny joke we persisted trying various avenues but ended up in the same place.  We then decided to convince the passenger ferry to allow us to keep the dog with us.  This also, did not work.   But it did spark an idea.  We figured it was about time Ella got a job, or at least the title.  We went back to the city and visited a  vet who without much or any conviction seemed on board with the idea. However as Mexico does not seem to have special provisions for service dogs,  we compromised with having a health certificate that stated the dog had to stay with us for medical reasons.   Whether dog’s or ours was undisclosed.

Other working dogs we encountered

On Friday we were back at the ferry terminal and shortly thereafter on the ferry itself.  The next 20 hours were spent sweating uncontrollably while we absorbed our surrounding.  Dolphins came around every so often and we squealed with excitement.    The sleeping arrangement which once again did not lead to much sleep consisted of a fully ventilated van to try and cool us down.  Both of our fans were running full speed and all windows, trunk and our side door were left wide open.  While the sea looked calm, the wide swells none the less rocked the ship, sometimes less gently having Brett almost fall out of our side door.  Morning confessions included worries of our van (which had a prime location next to the lowest side of the ferry) sliding overboard.

Beautifully lined up transport trucks
Navigating the truck maze


Ella keeping cool as the temperatures hit 40 once again
Our own bar stools conveniently located next to Astrid
Bird Watching
Bird being watched





  • Nata LE

    August 30, 2015 at 4:37 pm

    LOVE YOU GUYS! Especially Ella!

    • bpainter

      August 30, 2015 at 7:32 pm

      Naleee…Thank you. Xoxo

      • natasa

        September 11, 2015 at 5:03 am

        Its been more than a week on your post, come on guys hurry up! I am impatient to read more! 🙂

        • bpainter

          September 12, 2015 at 5:59 pm

          I know how rude, no internet reception at times in nature, where do I file a complaint. Evo stize samo zato sto imamo nestrpljivu citacicu, to me je najdraze.

  • Dad

    August 31, 2015 at 12:34 pm

    Great pics. Stay cool.


  • Drea

    September 2, 2015 at 8:11 am

    Smart thinking to get Ella to be a service dog. Looking forward to more stories!